Hydraulics is a fluid power system, which transmits force through an incompressible fluid.
Basic principle of Hydraulic System:
Pressure applied anywhere to a body of confined fluid causes the pressure to be transmitted equally in all directions, with the pressure acting at right angles to any surface in contact with the fluid. This phenomena is known as Pascal’s law, which is also familiar as force multiplication principle.
Why use hydraulics: Hydraulics is the most Effective and efficient method of power amplification. Using hydraulic power it is possible to achieve large power output by the application of Small amount of force.
If case of precise control of load rate, position and magnitude hydraulics is the first priority. Infinitely variable rotary or linear motion control is also possible by using hydraulic force. Controlling adjustable limits, any movement in reversible direction and rapid response are also some outstanding criteria of hydraulics.
Hydraulic control system has the ability to handle multiple loads simultaneously and Independently in parallel or sequenced in series. Another tremendous property of hydraulic control is smooth and vibration free power output, which has a very little impact from load variation.
Hydraulic fluid also act as a transmission medium, it removes heat generated by internal losses and serves as lubricant to increase component life.
Advantages of hydraulic system:
- It is lighter in weight than alternate existing systems.
- It is dead beat, that is, there is an absence of sloppiness in its response to demands placed on the system.
- It is reliable; either it works or doesn’t.
- It can be easily maintained.
- It is not a shock hazard;
- It is not much of a fire hazard.
- It can develop practically unlimited force or torque.